Saturday, October 6, 2012

what little boys are made of...

It has been a while since the last entry.  So long in fact, that we have since added a baby boy to our family.  I still can't believe he is almost six months old.  It's so cliche, but time really does fly.  It has not only been six months since Grady was born, but six months since my "Poppy" passed away.  It's sometimes hard to wrap my brain around the reality that he isn't a phone call away anymore.  My fondest memory of him was coming home from the grocery store with my grandmother and she would tell him there was a "sack of potatoes" in the trunk.  I would hide and wait until he would open the trunk, sling me over his shoulder, and carry me in the house.  Okay, I'm crying.  Needless to say, he was one of my favorite people and I will forever miss him until the day I see him again in Heaven.  I thank the Lord that I told him that if the baby was a boy, we were going to name him Grady Coleman, his dad's name.  My Poppy died suddenly on Wednesday, April 11th before Grady was born Monday, April 16th.  He wasn't feeling well and went to lay down.  He never got up.  I'd like to believe that him and Grady met "in passing".  Talk about the circle of life!  Jesus called him home and sent us Grady within a five day span.  We buried him on Saturday and you can imagine the emotional, hormonal mess I was at the funeral.

We were scheduled to go to the hospital Monday around 9 am, but Grady had different plans.  At 1 am I woke up to intense contractions.  When I told Murray at 3 am that I thought we needed to head to the hospital, he told me to...and I quote..."Go back to bed, we're going in six hours anyway".  Any woman who has ever been in labor knows my response.  After I almost ripped his face off, he got the point that we needed to go.  At 9:44 am we met our baby boy...A BOY!  It was the best surprise ever and I highly recommend not finding out the sex.  I don't think I will ever forget Murray's face when he said "It's a boy...Holly, it's a boy!"  Six months later, I still can't believe "it's a boy".  A cuddly, sweet, smiley little boy.

So what are little boys made of?  The nursery rhyme would say frogs and snails and puppy dogs tails.  But it's so much more.  This special little boy is made of God's sweetness and goodness that blessed our family, just as we said goodbye to a special man.  Grady's birth made my Poppy's passing bittersweet and I know he is smiling down on our Grady boy!


 Isaiah 9:6  For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given.

No comments:

Post a Comment